Skip to main content

Our VC 11/03/20

As always we'll start with what's on top. This could be as small as what the weather is doing where you are, something that is happening in the life of your school, some thing you've achieved, or something interesting that is happening for you.

I am going to try something today. Another teacher told me that they chose a student 'moderator' each week during the zoom call. The idea is that it is hard to keep an eye on everything happening in the zoom call at the same time as teaching, so the student's job would be to keep an eye on what is happening in the chat, if anyone joins the call a little late, if students can't see my screenshare etc and let me know if there is anything I need to respond to. I was thinking that I would try this out and if it works well choose a different student each week to be moderator.

Then we will use the break out rooms to discuss the episode you watched during the week 'The journey of Magus' Discussion points could be: What stood out to you? What was something new you learnt? What would you like to learn more about?
I will assign you to groups of 2 or 3. An invitation to the breakout  room will come up in your zoom window. You will need to click to join the break room. Once in there you will spend 5 minutes talking about the episode using the above points to guide you ( and you can talk about anything else you think is relevant.) It might be helpful for one of you to take notes as you talk. 
After 5 minutes I will end the breakout rooms. It will automatically bring you back in after 60 seconds, but it will come up with a button for you to click that will bring you back into the main zoom call.

I will lurk in the background and try to enter each breakout room just to make sure all is well and the technology is behaving.

We'll share back with the group the main things your groups talked about, this is helpful as it will consolidate ideas and make them more visible to the group (and breakout rooms aren't recorded - only the main call is).


I'm going to give a mini presentation about a few key ideas (Humanism,  Neoplatonism and Christianity) in the high renaissance period. This will be once over lightly as I want to allow time for discussion in Knowledge Forum. Next term we will be looking at these theories in depth for the Theories and Texts assignment.



Then we'll spend some time working in Knowledge Forum, specifically, zeroing in on art works.
We'll:

  • explore big ideas within the art works
  • how christian and classical ideas are valued
  • any questions this raises for you
If you wondering how to get started, Oak's post is an excellent example. He starts to unpack important ideas in the artwork, but also asks more questions, that will spur him on to think in more depth about the art work.

Remember that I have some starter research resources in the top left hand corner of the Values and Arguments view to help you with your research.



We're then going to do a bit of research zeroing in on people and their values. I have picked out Raphael, Michelangelo, the Medici and the Papacy. The focus of this assignment is to examine how art is valued in different ways by different people. This will help us to understand the people doing the valuing.

Then we will go around the group and try to summarise where we are at with our understanding and what we feel that we need to focus on next.

Over the week you should:

Watch the episode 4 of the AGD Renaissance Series Apocalypse
Keep developing your ideas in knowledge forum, in particular, the values within art. When you put your synthesis together you will be expected to reflect on your own and other people's contributions to the discussion about values in art.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art History VC 23/09/20

 Kia ora all, How are we all? -to some of you For those of you who are working on the internal and not sitting the art history external/s this week is a natural ending point to your course with the assignment being due on Friday. My grand plan is to get marking sorted this weekend so that my moderator has all of the holidays to look at your work. All going well I should have marks back to you in week one of term four. Online courses can often have an abrupt ending when students go on study leave or complete their internal programme ... I wanted to give people a chance to reflect on how they've grown as a learner and the skills or mindsets they'll take with them. Add your reflection here  Maybe do this as you join the call so that you have something to do as everyone else is connecting. We'll then have a bit of meta chat about this. I'm going to poll you on how you are feeling about your work in art history (assignment or externals). I'll then open up the floor for q...

Our Google Meet 21/02/19

21/02/19 Admin: Have we got set up with our netnz address yet? Here is  a guide for how to do it  and here is a  video  I recorded of setting up my netnz to forward to my regular mailbox, so I don't have to keep track of 2 emails. Sorry I was figuring out how to do it while I was recording, so please be patient I did get there in the end. You will need the netnz address primarily to access the Google+ community (Google will make it so that you can only access a community if you are from the same education domain as the owner e.g. netnz). How I'm organising my blog. As a research team which area of art history do we want to focus on? We need to pick whether we want to focus on Late Renaissance or Early Modernism as a group. We'll discuss this as a class. Getting to know each other.  Review  the work that we've done so far. Where in the world. Explain your location to the class and why you identify ...

Our Google Meet this week.

I would like to start using screencastify to record our google meets so that we can refer back to discussion if that is ok with you. I would keep them in a google drive folder that is accessible just to us. Today's recording in particular would be shared with my HoD who appraises my teaching each year. Today will be a bit admin-y as there is a bit to cover in terms of what we need to be working towards NCEA wise. Starting with what's on top for us . What is happening in our worlds and where we are at with our research into the values.  Please share some interesting discoveries and how they have helped your understanding of the big picture.  What has been helpful for you (on the website, on KF or some other sources?  (NB - when you click on the link, scroll down to the red padlet). We will then spend a bit of time adding to Knowledge Forum . This could be adding research you have been  doing as a note. Or new questions that have come up after doing research...